Thursday, August 21, 2014

Discussion Thoughts Chapter 2

Sorry--I'm in the ebook mode and can't copy/paste easily.

In chapter two, "Body and Soul," I felt a little out of my depth because of the theology, philosophy, and biological issues which are raised.  Do you believe the two temptations--acceptance or denial--, Packer raises are the only temptations experienced as we age?  If not what other temptations do you see in yourself or in others.

I agree with the author that people who are relatively isolated seem to become more narcissistic--if that's what it should be called.   Depression often is integral to this.  I agree that pride is the root cause of all even of depression.  However, I'm not one to root out pride in others without seeing its existence in myself.  How many times do older people have to ask for help with new technology rather than trying to learn the technology?  Sometimes it's  diminishing eyesight and hearing which may make such activities go slower.

I also think we do find people discounting our experiences because we are old  and just can't be worth listening to  in a respectful way. 

Biologically, aging is a continuum for all of us.  Our genes, DNA, and other factors precondition some health issues to occur if other factors are present.  This is not the same as determinism. I don't think people are predetermined to give in to the two temptations Packer mentions.  If they don't it may be because they have learned to ask for help and are not afraid of being alone or may have a lifelong curiosity and resilience.

I also remembered several poems when I read this chapter such as The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock,  and Thanatopsis by William Cullen Bryant/


No comments:

Post a Comment