Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Hobby or job?


So, my love of handicrafts has finally morphed into more than gifts for family and friends.  I am not part of a group which crochets for charity.  I can now create washcloths, blankets, scarves, and hats to my hearts' content.  Although there are some proscriptions, it is always gratifying when people report back that they loved the item and want more.

Unfortunately I'm not getting paid except for the occasional pat on the back and the thrill of actually tackling more complicated patterns. 

Should we go into hobbies or pastimes with the idea in mind that they might morph into a paying job with a regular salary which exceeds the break-even point?  For me, this number crunching is usually too disappointing.  There is no way the expenditure is ever going to be less than any income.  I realized back in the '80s that such hopes were impractical for the enthusiast unless we charge what our time is worth.  I don't see adding  $25-100 per hour to a project for income ever going to surpass any competition which will give it away for practically nothing. 

Perhaps there are other avenues for remuneration for the expense of a hobby, such as learning design techniques or teaching a class.  Even so, the main problem is still crunching those numbers.

In the meantime, sharing the enthusiasm for crocheting and knitting with others and being blessed with donations of patterns and yarn and other supplies for maintaining my "habit" will have to suffice.

1 comment:

  1. I sold a few of my paintings and some hand made cards, but really would rather not feel the pressure of doing them for profit. Others fee gratified that there are buyers.

    ReplyDelete